Sunday, August 30, 2015

6MMRPC Week Thirteen: Great War Landships WiP

This week I was able to get the three landships from Sam's Great War British commission project assembled and also worked some on the Kawasaki Ki-45.  This also gets me nearly to the half-way point in the challenge, I'll have a follow-up later this week.

Sam asked me to build two Mark IVs and a Mark A Whippet for his British army and they came together pretty easily.  All of those machine gun barrels and the frames on the Mark IV were time consuming, but it was pretty straight-forward with minimal clean-up.  The resin tracks on the Mark IVs were really clean, though the sponsons have some sink marks I'll need to fill.  I also decided to magnetize the sponsons so Sam could run them as either Male or Female.  (Insert joke here)

A Mark IV still in it's original paint.  There's some controversy as to what color these should be, but I'll go with something like this.
All assembled but I ran out of primer...  Guns are next up.
Magnets for easy swap-out of Male to Female. (Artillery Guns or Machine-Guns)

The Ki-45 is still waiting on the interior paint color, it's a mysterious one from what I've been able to dig up on the inter-webs.  I did get all of my sub-assembly finished and put a coat of Tamiya surface primer on it, which went down like a dream.

Three main sub-assemblies, with some small parts left off until after painting.  Closed up the wheel wells for simplicity.

5 comments:

  1. Those original tanks are actually pretty beefy, aren't they? I'm impressed with your magnet work, I find it one of the most frustrating things to do...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the darn things kept flipping on me. I marked one side so I'd know the polarity, that helped quite a bit.

      Delete
  2. Sam better be amazingly happy with all the magnetizing and electrolizing you've been up to. I'd ask for a raise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam better be amazingly happy with all the magnetizing and electrolizing you've been up to. I'd ask for a raise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the magnets were my idea, the slots were already on the model and I had a ton of spares. Sam is pleased, as am I . Can't cut corners on my first commission job! Oh, and we worked out a very equitable trade. Sam just happened to have a spare wiring harness collecting dust in his garage for my Mustang, worth about $850. Win-win!

      Delete