Tuesday, July 21, 2015

6MMRPC Bonus +: Saving Private Ryan Bridge Diorama

I was able to finish my bridge diorama for the Historicon Painting Competition the night before I left, though I did pour the water in the hotel room thursday night.  I wanted to build some sand bags on the bridge, but my Miliput went bad, might add some before I ship it to my good friend Josh back in California.  I ran a Normandy-themed tournament back in November and this was promised to him for winning the painting award.  I already went over much of the build here: http://flamesofnerd.blogspot.com/2015/07/6mmrpc-week-five-bridge-diorama-wip.html
The rest of the build was pretty basic, I did have a hard time trying to get the right look on the bridge though.  I eventually used a brown-grey mix of paint, and several different washes before a quick dry brush to build the color back up.  I then used several colors of dry pigments and added a few boxes for interest.  I used an IKEA picture frame for the base and Realistic Water for the canal.  I waited until I got to Virginia to glue the vehicles down to prevent unwanted damage.  The Open category was very well represented, and the brdige did not place, though I really didn't expect too much out of it.  The competition was a great way to force me to finish though!
Battlefront's Hollywood Tiger from the 2013 Nationals tournaments.
Captain Miller, converted from a British tank commander.

Two more vehicles struck from the mountain!

8 comments:

  1. Very nice. Very atmospheric and I am really reminded of the scene from saving Private Ryan. Great work and congrats on entering the competition and creating some really interesting pieces. Are the winners psoted anywhere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Wargames Illustrated posted some of the winners on their Facebook page, but They should have a full report up on their website in a week or two, followed by an article in the magazine by October.

      Delete
  2. Very nice finished piece! Like Cameron said, it really does have the feel of the scene from the film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai! Now I just need to get it to Josh without it getting broken.

      Delete
  3. Love it,but a bit more weathering on the tracks and motorbike tyre would add to it ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was in a rush to get it done for the competition. I'll go back and add some stuff to it I think.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks! First time trying something like this.

      Delete