Monday, July 6, 2015

6MMRPC Week Five: Bridge Diorama WiP

Slow progress this week as I had to wait on a few items to arrive by mail and I also decided after much deliberation (too much, really) to change lists for the Early War Nationals at the last minute.  The Fallschirmjäger list was just too small and I'll be switching to a more standard German Infanteriekompanie from the new Barbarossa book.  Still waiting for a T-34 obr 1941 to arrive for a captured unit.

The bridge diorama took quite a bit of planning and after watching the last 30 minutes of Saving Private Ryan several times, pausing every few seconds when the bridge was on camera, I drew out what I would need to do.  I ordered a terrain piece from JR Miniatures and modified it to closely resemble the 'Alamo' bridge.  One thing I also noticed was that throughout the whole movie the Kettenkrad sits between the motorcycle combo and where the Tiger would be, except in the final shot of the Tiger exploding from the P-51 attack.  The Kettenkrad is now behind the motorcycle... This would solve the problem of trying to fit all three vehicles in the 8" space allowed by the competition.

'Tiger' and BMW combo are nearly finished.  Needs a bit more weathering.
Mapped out bridge at the Tiger's final moment.  Kettenkrad is now behind Capt. Miller.
JR drop-in bridge, cut and re-attatched on the opposite side.  This will allow me to position the bridge at an angle.
After filler, sanding,  and a quick brush of beige paint.

 I was able to get most of the items needed for my new list assembled, just waiting on the T-34.

3.7cm PaK36 anti-tank guns and 10.5cm NW35 heavy mortars.  Crew are mostly finished from another previous project.

Sd Kfz 221 armored cars.
10 days left to finish!


3 comments:

  1. Wow! That bridge is going to be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to the finished diorama. Start looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diorama is coming along quite nicely!

    Change in army will be fine. You'll have more fun playing with captured tank than boring FJ's anyhow. :)

    ReplyDelete